24 Mar 2019

 

South Sudan Launches $1.5 Billion Humanitarian Appeal For 2019

The Government of South Sudan and the humanitarian community today launched an appeal for US$1.5 billion to provide assistance to 5.7 million people affected by conflict, hunger and displacement.

South Sudan Launches $1.5 Billion Humanitarian Appeal For 2019
Hussein Mar Nyuot, Mr. Alain Noudehou, and other guests during the launch on December 13 [Gurtong photo|Ojwe Lumara]

By Ojwe Lumara

JUBA, 13 December 2018 [Gurtong]
-The aid agencies and the government plans to reach 5.7 million people with life-saving assistance if they get the needed funds.

“As we prepare to enter 2019, South Sudan remains in the grip of a serious humanitarian crisis. The cumulative effects of years of conflict and violence against civilians have destroyed people’s homes and livelihoods,” Alain Noudéhou, the Humanitarian Coordinator for South Sudan,” said during the launch in Juba.

“It is with this in mind that today I am calling for $1.5 billion to give assistance and protection to 5.7 million people who have been affected by the conflict in South Sudan and are the most in need,” he added.

Last year, donors contributed over $1 billion to the 2018 Humanitarian Response Plan which enabled the government and aid agencies to deliver more than 4.7 million people with food, health, water and sanitation, education, livelihoods, nutrition as well as protection services.

Mr Noudéhou commended the government and opposition on their signing of a new peace deal, saying it offers new opportunities in 2019 for South Sudan.

“With the recent signing of the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan – the call for peace has got louder and louder. There is now great expectation that the agreement will pave a way towards a peaceful and prosperous country,” Mr. Noudéhou said.
 
“The effective implementation of the plan will require a peaceful environment where humanitarian organisations have consistent, unimpeded and safe access to the people in need,” he added.

However, the cumulative effect of years of conflict , violence and destroyed livelihoods have left more than 7 million people-two-thirds of the population in dire need of some form of humanitarian assistance and protection in 2019.

According to the plan, while the intensity of conflict has reduced recently people will continue to experience the impacts of the conflict through 2019. Hunger, malnutrition and the safety of civilians continue to escalate.

“While the situation is no longer escalating at a rapid speed, the country remains in the grip of serious humanitarian crisis,” Mr Noudehou said.

According to the plan, the aid agencies will prioritize saving lives by providing timely assistance, protecting women and girls, and supporting at risk communities to promote and sustain their resilience.

“Sexual violence continues to be a major problem in South Sudan. We must keep protection at the centre of everything we do. The compelling need for all organizations to act together to prevent and respond to gender-based violence is critical. People who committed these crimes should also be held accountable,” Mr. Noudéhou said.

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Hussein Mar Nyuot said the government had already endorsed the plan few weeks ago.

“Whatever comes there, there is no dispute in any figure, that is the real reflection of the situation in South Sudan,” Hon Nyuot said.

He said with peace, the need will actually increase because a lot of people will be returning back from internally displaced camps and refugee camps.

“There will be a lot of influx of people coming back home. A lot of work is actually expected in 2019,” he said.

He said the government will ensure that all illegal checkpoints are cleared in order to expedite delivery of services to the needy.

The minister urged security forces to remove illegal check points manned by armed people.

“These illegal checkpoints take money from the humanitarians, it infringes in to the budget of humanitarian, and it is actually intimidating the contractors who are delivering aid, and it is slowing down humanitarians to reach the people. This is illegal,” minister Nyuot said.

One hundred and eighty-three aid organizations including 105 local non-governmental organizations (NGOs) 67 international NGOs and 11 United Nations organizations aim to implement projects under the 2019 Humanitarian Response Plan.

 

Posted in: Home, Governance
Comments
RSS comment feed
There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.
Add Comment
Log in
to post a comment. If you are not a Gurtong member yet, register here.

 

Featured Videos
THE SOUTH SUDAN NATIONAL DIALOGUE
  • What is The National Dialogue?South Sudan Peace Process
  • Expectations of the National DialogueSouth Sudan Peace Process
  • Gurtong Mobile Cinema
What is The National Dialogue?1 Expectations of the National Dialogue2 Gurtong Mobile Cinema3
 

 

 

Gurtong Radio

Peace Efforts Earn Bishop Paride Taban Top UN Award

 
 English Programs     |      برامج اللغة العربية