19 Jun 2019

 

South Sudan Says US Sanction “Unjustified”

The Government of South Sudan has responded to sanctions imposed by the United States government against two South Sudanese and one Israeli ex-soldier last week.

By Ojwe Lumara

JUBA, 18 December 2018 [Gurtong]-The United States said on Friday that it had sanctioned three people over their roles in South Sudan's five-year civil war.

 The statement from the Treasury Department named South Sudanese businessman Obac William Olawo, South Sudanese official Gregory Vasili, and a retired Israeli military official Israel Ziv, for leading entities whose actions have extended the conflict, "for actions that have undermined peace, stability, and security."

The US said it will continue to target those who "profit off the misery and suffering of the South Sudanese people, adding that six entities owned or controlled by Ziv and Olawo were also designated to be affected by the sanctions.

In response to the sanction, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation issued a press statement on Monday describing the sanction as “unjustified.”

“The designations on 14th December 2018 by the United States Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Affairs Asset Control, under Executive Order (EO) 13664 can only be described as unjustified action, especially coming in the wake of the recently signed Revitalized Agreement on Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan,” Ambassador Mawien Makol, the spokesperson of the ministry of foreign affairs said.

He added that the sanctions do not serve well the people and government of South Sudan.
“The government of South Sudan would like to register its concern and protest in the strongest terms against these unjustified unilateral sanctions,” Amb. Mawien said.

On December 14, the United States also officially announced it is ending its financial assistance to South Sudanese government in what the States termed as pulling out from led corrupted leaders.

The announcement comes as President Trump’s administration rolls out its new African strategy to deal with what the administration described as ‘predatory behavior’.
In a statement released on Thursday, the U.S. National Security Advisor John R. Bolton “hard-earned” taxpayer money will not go in the pockets of “corrupt autocrats” at the expense of their people.

“We will not provide loans or more American resources to a South Sudanese government led by the same morally bankrupt leaders, who perpetuate the horrific violence and immense human suffering in South Sudan,” Bolton says.

Ambassador Mawien also said the other US statement for ending financial assistance to government of South Sudan was also meant to undermine the implementation of the South Sudan peace agreement.

He said even though US officials have openly supported the revitalized peace agreement, there failure so far to sign the deal as a witness creates doubts about where there stand is on South Sudan peace process.

“We would like to see more active and concrete support for the peace agreement,” he added.
In February, the United States imposed an arms embargo on South Sudan, sanctioned State-owned oil entities and individuals in March, and successfully helped pushed a UN Security Council arms ban in May.





 

Posted in: Home
Comments
RSS comment feed
There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.
Add Comment
Log in
to post a comment. If you are not a Gurtong member yet, register here.
Featured Videos
THE SOUTH SUDAN NATIONAL DIALOGUE
  • What is The National Dialogue?South Sudan Peace Process
  • Expectations of the National DialogueSouth Sudan Peace Process
  • Gurtong Mobile Cinema
What is The National Dialogue?1 Expectations of the National Dialogue2 Gurtong Mobile Cinema3
 

 

 

Gurtong Radio

Peace Efforts Earn Bishop Paride Taban Top UN Award

 
 English Programs     |      برامج اللغة العربية